Accepted Taragarh Fort

Greetings

Map name: Taragarh Fort
Authors: ___EL_UBRE___

Pictures:

MOST UP TO DATE LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/x729r2pt4nbw65y/Taragarh_Fort.zip/file
Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/emhoojkqfwx20gn/Taragarh_Fort.zip/file
Download Link - Edit 1 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/n7dg34u74gt16gi/Taragarh_Fort_-_Edit_1.zip/file

Edit 1: Made main block into sand from stripped birch wood, and made some areas where various paths connect flatter.
Edit 1 photos:
The idea for this map comes from the many thousands of ancient forts situated in a state called Rajasthan in India. Taragarh Fort is one of these. There were many historic battles that took place on these forts, and if you actually look at videos and analysis of the studies of these forts, you would notice the strategic interconnectivity of the outposts and the pathing, carved and molded purely from Earth. I tried to include this feature into this map.

So there are multiple outposts/walkways/bridges/alleyways leading into each bomb. Some features of forts being situated on hills are the narrow pathways that exist between the houses/rooms and the long bridges that serve to both connect the houses/rooms and have a view of these said pathways for another mode of attack (atleast irl).

I think that the nature of forts like these allows for ranged elements like archers to excel if they are stationed at these said outposts (bridges/rooftops of the houses/rooms), however to balance this, there are multiple entrances to the bombs. Another characteristic of hill fortresses is that entrances (to bombs) and pathways are not only at one y-axis level; there are multiple levels which all merge to access the bomb area. I suggest you download the map and tour it yourself to have a better feeling of what I just said, from which you can then give me any feedback!

Some questions I asked myself when trying to add unique features to this map were related to the pathing; of course both teams would fight at the center trying to cross the bridges, but after one team loses the battle at the center, it would be interesting to see how the defense would assemble to neutralize the offensive pressure. hence the "fortress-type" nature arising from the multilevel bridges, rooms, and pathways. And, like I said, the abundance of these defensive outposts is neutralized by the variety of routes and aisles that actually lead to the bomb.

Last edited:

Espios

On a serious note-

I can tell how much work you put into the small details of this map. Everything flows together very nicely. I think even though there's a lot of paths to choose from and its a very "busy" map, you never really feel lost or cramped at all.

Aesthetically, I don't have many complaints. This gives me a mix of Buzy Bazaar and Assassins Creed vibes, yet more neat and a lot easier to navigate. One thing I don't really care for is the stripped wood used as the floor. You have splotches of sand at mid surrounded by that wood, and I might flip those blocks; put splotches of wood (or a sandstone variant, clay, whatever you'd like) and use sand as the main block Same thing goes for the main path that goes under the large archway (and some other spots too); this pathway is mostly slab, which I personally don't think plays well. It's also made of planks, which isn't very pleasing to the eye. I'd make several "platforms" of flat ground for fighting on, with your slope made out of stairs instead.
I will say, though, that I don't see the "far" side of each base being used often (being the side with the grass path hill on it). In other words, the map is extremely wide. That might be fine if we regularly had large games of 40+, but I don't think we have the playerbase to support that (yet). Fixing this seems daunting, since a lot of the paths intertwine so often that there's no good way to "cut" the map lengthwise without making changes to the architecture It might take some rearranging

Other than those things (which aren't even really major other than it being super wide) this is a really solid map imo. I'm really hoping this one makes it! Good luck and amazing work, as expected by an artist like yourself !!

Dave_X

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey Ubre,

Aesthetically, this is a lovely map. Espios had some notes about the stripped logs that I don’t think are crucial, but it would be worth testing different block types. Personally I noticed a lot of random torches just placed on walls. Even a small detail like an item frame with a slab can make these feel more intentional. In terms of gameplay, the maze-like design offers a more unique feel without being oppressive (I’m also a sucker for real-world inspiration). Some more gameplay notes:

• I agree with Espios on changing slabs into stairs+platforms. That’ll make it easier/clearer to fight.
  • The mix of pathways reminds me a lot of Shove Castle on a wider scale. Given the size a few banners/heads showing directions would be nice (though for the most part it’s “go up to find bomb”).
  • Due to the rectangular shape, there’s a lot of potential dead space on the map. Combined with the maze-like structure, this could lead to players wandering aimlessly in unhelpful areas. That said, the map isn’t *that* large or confusing, so we’d have to see how it plays out. I do recommend reducing the unnecessary space, here’s one quick concept I threw together:

We’re going to accept this map into testing as-is, but we’d really like to see the above taken into consideration. A few other quick notes:
  • I had to change slabs to blocks in the bomb area for spawning purposes, hopefully I kept true to your design.
  • While doing that, I noticed that it would be really cool to spawn on some of the upper walkways/rooftops where you can see out across the map. A few convenient staircases would make this much more viable.
  • We made up a map description, if you wanna change it please tell us lol

-Dave

Hey Ubre,

Aesthetically, this is a lovely map. Espios had some notes about the stripped logs that I don’t think are crucial, but it would be worth testing different block types. Personally I noticed a lot of random torches just placed on walls. Even a small detail like an item frame with a slab can make these feel more intentional. In terms of gameplay, the maze-like design offers a more unique feel without being oppressive (I’m also a sucker for real-world inspiration). Some more gameplay notes:

• I agree with Espios on changing slabs into stairs+platforms. That’ll make it easier/clearer to fight.
  • The mix of pathways reminds me a lot of Shove Castle on a wider scale. Given the size a few banners/heads showing directions would be nice (though for the most part it’s “go up to find bomb”).
  • Due to the rectangular shape, there’s a lot of potential dead space on the map. Combined with the maze-like structure, this could lead to players wandering aimlessly in unhelpful areas. That said, the map isn’t *that* large or confusing, so we’d have to see how it plays out. I do recommend reducing the unnecessary space, here’s one quick concept I threw together:

We’re going to accept this map into testing as-is, but we’d really like to see the above taken into consideration. A few other quick notes:
  • I had to change slabs to blocks in the bomb area for spawning purposes, hopefully I kept true to your design.
  • While doing that, I noticed that it would be really cool to spawn on some of the upper walkways/rooftops where you can see out across the map. A few convenient staircases would make this much more viable.
  • We made up a map description, if you wanna change it please tell us lol

-Dave
Aight so I updated the map

Images: Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/x729r2pt4nbw65y/Taragarh_Fort.zip/file

ye so basically I addressed the things that were pointed out here such as narrowing the map since it was too wide. I narrowed it from the left side. I also added a few stairs leading to the different levels around the base for spawning. Area around bomb is also now ideal for spawning (initially was just slabs). Some intersection areas for pathways are now flatter. Added a few arrows for direction purpose. Made torches more organized. Boundary walls are also less plain. And some other minor interior stuff.

Also u might need to die to respawn in the correct area for the map when you're going over it.

Yea the description killed me LOL 👏

Last edited:

Cobra_Command

Staff Member
Administrator
Greeting Ubre,

I am honoured to announce that this map has completed the testing phase and it was a success, the hunt for the mona lisa shall begin once again!
You’re always free to update the map if there are any changes you desire.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo