Accepted [MAP] Vertigo

Giovani

Map Name: Vertigo
Author: Giovani
Description: Join the battle on a construction site set above the clouds!

So it has been a while since I made a new SnD map. Before I go into detail about the map here is

an album on screenshots:

and the map download for you to check it out in-game:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/cd9ex7v5h3c36wx/Vertigo.zip/file

With that out of the way let me explain a bit of the design process that went into this map.

I believe a good SnD map consists of the following:
1) It allows and encourages a big fight at mid. You want to naturally push the players into their first fight and this map should do that just fine. The middle is nice and open and provides an additional risky path through a bridge right in the open.

2) Attackers should feel like they are gaining more control of the map as they attack. This is done by having clear choke points and areas that defenders are trying to hold. If attackers manage to push enough they have access to more paths into the bomb site or the next chokepoint. This map does that by providing 2 main choke points that attackers will have to push through. If you read the descriptions in the Imgur album you will see which ones I'm talking about. The first choke is up the first set of stairs from the open mid area. If attackers gain control of that they then have more access to the other side of the map. After that, the next chokepoint is up the quartz set of stairs. While that is the main choke there are alternate routes and chokes for attackers to take but they will be more time-consuming. These chokes should encourage team fights to happens which is one of the things I personally find the most fun and exciting in SnD.

3) It makes most of the kits viable. Don't get me wrong, maps that have their gimmicks suck as Flying Ships are fun. but not every kit is good on there. it makes every game on maps like those feel the same. This map has a little bit for every kit.

- A well positioned Long Bow can punish people flanking on the outer parts since there are open parts that lead to the void. Even warper can take advantage of these.
- Barricader has places to place grass and block entryways. However, there are locations on this map that cant be accessed normally. However, a clever Barricader can provide access to these locations with their blocks. Mainly the bow kits on his team would benefit as they would be able to defend certain areas better from these locations.
- Marine has several areas that it can take advantage of but for attacking, defending, and for movement purposes. This map is designed to take advantage of his new movement abilities.
- Several sections of the map floor are just plain stone. Demolitionists can sneakily place mines there or use them to help defend tight chokes.
- The map is designed to provide nice straight lines of sight. There is very little visual clutter so enemies should really pop. All bow kits will benefit from this.
- The map has nice open areas for the sword to sword combat. It also provides crates in many locations that can be used for cover from bow kits. Most melee kits should find PVPing pretty enjoyable as most parts of the map are flat.
- Sneaky kits have flanks that they can take to push into bombsites. Every main choke has 2 ways in.
- Kits with pearls will also find that there are many sneaky locations they can pearl to. Many locations were designed for easy pearling to skip chokes.

Anyways I could continue rambling as the location of every crate, entryway, nook, and cranny are there on purpose. I hope that the map is fun to play in if it gets accepted. I mean in theory it should be :P Anyway if you read this whole wall of text, thanks! Leave a comment with your thoughts on the map. I really recommend downloading it to get a nice feel for it. If you have any questions about any part of it I am also more than willing to answer them and explain them.

P.S I could have probably formatted this whole post to look nicer but who has the time.

Last edited:

Dave_X

Staff Member
Administrator
Glad to have you back and making maps Gio! I also want to give a special callout to the level of thought and care put into the map design, with many kits and playstyles thought of. The modern aesthetic is also a nice difference from the usual medieval maps. We'll be moving this map into testing phase to see how it plays out!

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo