Submission [Idea!] Structure Block Map (Build-A-Shove)

Espios

Name: Build=A=Shove
Author: Espios
Description: The latest product from Shove Industries ™ , Build-A-Shove allows players to warp and distort the map around them! How cool! Change walls, open gates, drain water, and so much more! The world -- THIS world -- is now your oyster!
(this is an SND map, idk why i put it in disasters submissions. oops)

----------------------

So last night in a mapmaking frenzy I set out to make a map that was very... "interactable" and allowed players to play the map several different ways, making each game on this map a little different. I'd been tinkering with something added in 1.10 that I only recently discovered, Structure Blocks.

Structure blocks can do some pretty wacky things, but what I've used them for is as a way for players to change the map around them in ways a little more impactful than just redstone doors or traps.

This took a LONG time to figure out, but put simlpy...

You use the structure blocks to "save" a built structure into the world's file. This could be something as simple as a small gate, or something as huge as a boat or a building. Then, using a separate structure block, you can "load" that structure into the world with just the press of a button.

Think of it as using //cut and //paste in worldedit.

I've already tested this by creating a simple drawbridge with two different structure blocks; one, when pressed, will load a small 1x7 drawbridge over a gap of lava. Another structure block will load air in a 1x7 shape to "retract" the drawbridge. I then saved the world, zipped it, and put it on a different computer, and the drawbridge worked perfectly still. This can be done 100% in vanilla minecraft. All the structures I've made I've stored out of bounds behind red's base for the sake of explanation, but once the structure is saved, it does NOT need to be stored on the map physically anymore.

When in creative mode, you can see all of the outlines of the structures as a white line. You can also open the structure block to see all the coordinates, sizing, math, settings, etc, that's used. But in survival mode, the outlines aren't visible, the structure block can't be opened, BUT it can still be activated with a button. I think this would be perfect to hide in a map.

For a more detailed explanation, I'd look at a few videos on YouTube. Or, download the map and check it out yourself(:

On the "test" map I've made, there are several routes which utilize these blocks. I've commentated on all those in the imgur album below.

There's also a download below that, too!

*so apparently all the descriptions got messed up and the order of the pictures are skewed :l
  • but basically. one button opens a gate, the other closes it.
  • the gravel spots in the cave use redstone and piston similar to delver's mine (i cant remember the name rn but its the mineshaft map)
  • the bridge part is controlled in the center tower and can be raised/lowered only from that tower. Meaning, whichever team gets control of that tower will have control over both team's bridges.
  • also. only red team's structures are finished. this is still a WIP(:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vn0haszjolns9nl/buildshuv.zip/file

Sadly right now, this is only an idea. I talked to some of the staff and tested it on the server, and for one reason or another structure blocks can't be interacted with, placed, destroyed, or activated using redstone. So this isn't necessarily a formal submission -- yet.

I wanted to put this on the forums just to spread the word about structure blocks, as I think they could add a whole new layer of mapmaking when it comes to SND maps. I used them quite conservatively, although I'm sure with the creativity in this community, we could build some truly awesome maps. Hopefully sometime in the future these could become a reality for mapmakers in Athios.

Last edited:

pigpig24

I’m for it! It’s very cutely used, with the little signs and realistic situations. Hope you can get it to work!

Elitemaster5

Awesome map and innovative building. I really hope we can get this feature worked into SnD at some point. This really opens the doors to a bunch of new mapmaking possibilities. It's giving me a lot of cool map ideas already. Keep up the great work Espios.

Im not sure if its good or bad but making interactable terrain would have a huge impact on the gameplay and playstyle of snd. Bigger impact than most people think

pigpig24

Im not sure if its good or bad but making interactable terrain would have a huge impact on the gameplay and playstyle of snd. Bigger impact than most people think
I mean there's a couple interactable bits on current maps already, like the gravel wall at base in Delver's and some sort of gate in Rival Castles (I don't know the specifics because I immediately head upstairs every game). So I'd welcome it gladly! Makes strategies more complex.

Espios

I agree to an extent, but on the trial map I made the ways I implemented those mechanics is pretty conservative. But you're right though, some kind of a balance should be found. I think it's worth investigating!

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo