Rejected Mars Colonization

4_D

Map Name: Mars Colonization
Made By: 4_D
Map Description: "Two early Mars colonies decide that there isn't enough room for the both of 'em on this planet."

I've never made a map before but I decided to give it a crack in celebration of the new server. I realize that it is definitely not perfect so I'm willing to take criticism to hopefully make it into something worth playing on. I'm pretty proud of what I've made even if it isn't absolutely stunning since I've never considered myself much of a builder before.

Pictures: Imgur Album

Download:
Google Drive

I hope yall like it! Don't feel bad if you don't though, I will only take it a little bit personally.

Dave_X

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey 4_D, thanks for the submission! For someone who hasn't made maps before, this is a solid start. In its current state it isn't ready for the server, but below are some ways you can improve it. I tried to add as much helpful feedback as I could!

• The multiple routes are great to see, as it shows you took that aspect of gameplay into account, but the execution could use some work.
    • The pipes are unusable for most kits due to how deadly cramped and long it is, and therefore don’t serve as effective routes. They need to be made wider/shorter, or reimagined. Aesthetically they’re fine inside, but the exterior should be covered or made prettier.
    • The tunnels near mid are very tough to run through, and show the use of the sphere tool. Smoothing them out and tightening them up would improve them a lot.
  • The overall terrain is very simplistic. The walls are stacked spheres, and the ground is perfectly flat. A wider and more varied terrain would help evoke the idea of Mars much better. Think craters, rocks, and hills with the larger mountains acting as the wall and backdrop. Also add details to the terrain, such as scientific equipment or rovers, to keep the map interesting.
  • The central UFO does look pretty weird, why not replace it with another biodome? You’ve already established the concept, so keep going with it!
    • Speaking of which, I recommend leaning more into the sci-fi theme. The inside of the domes is very simple Minecraft terrain, so you can make the map stand out with a more futuristic base.
We will not be accepting this map, but I encourage you to keep working on improving the map and your build skills!

4_D

Hey 4_D, thanks for the submission! For someone who hasn't made maps before, this is a solid start. In its current state it isn't ready for the server, but below are some ways you can improve it. I tried to add as much helpful feedback as I could!

• The multiple routes are great to see, as it shows you took that aspect of gameplay into account, but the execution could use some work.
    • The pipes are unusable for most kits due to how deadly cramped and long it is, and therefore don’t serve as effective routes. They need to be made wider/shorter, or reimagined. Aesthetically they’re fine inside, but the exterior should be covered or made prettier.
    • The tunnels near mid are very tough to run through, and show the use of the sphere tool. Smoothing them out and tightening them up would improve them a lot.
  • The overall terrain is very simplistic. The walls are stacked spheres, and the ground is perfectly flat. A wider and more varied terrain would help evoke the idea of Mars much better. Think craters, rocks, and hills with the larger mountains acting as the wall and backdrop. Also add details to the terrain, such as scientific equipment or rovers, to keep the map interesting.
  • The central UFO does look pretty weird, why not replace it with another biodome? You’ve already established the concept, so keep going with it!
    • Speaking of which, I recommend leaning more into the sci-fi theme. The inside of the domes is very simple Minecraft terrain, so you can make the map stand out with a more futuristic base.
We will not be accepting this map, but I encourage you to keep working on improving the map and your build skills!
Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll try to see what I can do with it!

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo